Each player builds a squad by choosing ships and upgrades whose total
cost does not exceed the total defined by the
game mode. The
recommended squad point total for a standard dogfight is 200 points.
A player can build a squad using ship and upgrade cards with some
- Each ship has an upgrade bar which is a list of upgrade icons that limit
the number of upgrades and types of upgrades that the ship can equip.
The X-Wing Squad Builder will enforce these rules. Additionally, a
list of all ships' upgrade bars is also available at X-Wing.com.
- Nearly all game modes limit ships to a specific faction to choose from.
All ship cards must be from a single faction. Some upgrade cards have
faction restrictions listed in their restriction field.
- Some upgrade cards have ship-size restrictions. Only ships of the given
size can equip them.
- Some upgrade cards have ship-type restrictions. Only ships of that type
can equip them.
- A squad's cards are restricted by the rules of limited cards and solitary cards.
- A ship cannot equip more than one copy of an upgrade card with the same